Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do.
Talking Rubbish (Plastic)
Recorded: June 19th, 2019
Now, this week we've been looking at the global plastic problem, but what do people really know about the issue? Well, we put that question to people around the world:
Plastic waste is a huge problem around the world. But do people know how bad it is? We hit the streets to find out. How much plastic waste is out there?
"Probably hundreds of billions of tonnes."
"Billions of tonnes"
"Billions of tonnes?"
"I don't know the amount, but it must be a lot."
The plastic thrown away each year could circle the Earth four times.
"Will circle the Earth four times? As in like, if you keep it end to end? It can like... every year that's happening?
"Circle the Earth four times, that, that is too much."
How long does it take for plastic to break down?
"I think it takes 500 years, to break down."
I think it takes 1,000 years to break down."
"I think a million years."
"We're in crisis mode. It's not a joke. It's a really big problem."
"The amount we are talking with plastic these days, it's just not... surprising, unfortunately.
Plastic could take up to 1,000 years to degrade in a landfill. What are you doing to help reduce plastic waste?
"It's hard actually, to live a zero plastic life. Because, erh, see, the plastic bottle, the carry bags."
"I genererally just buy enough food for the week and try and limit what I throw away."
"I'm also trying my best to stop that. I hardly use plastic myself."
"I cannot say I'm not using plastic but, where I can avoid that, I'm avoiding this."
"I think it's a problem that needs to be tackled, on like, a governmental and, like, industry basis. So, I think it is a personal thing. You can make differences but it can't just be changed that way."
The video doesn't really answer the question about how much plastic is in the environment and given the variety of size, shape and density plastic comes in the notion of laying it end to end around the earth is pretty meaningless. In 2017 Americans were using more than enough plastic straws to circle the earth every day. According to an article at Ecoideaz only 9% of plastic has ever been recycled.and plastic straws take up to 200 years to breakdown. Styrofoam, on the other hand, can take up to one million years...
getfiles: Talking Rubbish (Plastic)MP4: 82.06 mb
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- 2019 Spelling Bee
- Cars in Japan
- Ed makes History
- Forest Bathing
- Japan and the Summit
- Plastic in Japan
- Return to Fukushima
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- Typhoon Jebi
- What's wrong with planting new forests?
- Yayoi Kusama's Infinity