We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.
Mother Night, 1961
Across The Table
AIM: To create a chain of flashcards from one end of the table to the other.
procedure: Select enough flashcards so that if they are laid out next to each other they can stretch the length of the table. Include some familiar items but the focus is on new vocabulary. Shuffle the cards. Set a timer for 2 minutes and start by showing the top card. If anyone can name the card place it face up at the edge of the table. Continue with subsequent cards laying them next to each other to create a chain of cards. If no-one can name a card say the answer, gather all the cards on the table and shuffle them back into the pack. Can the group make a chain across the table before the time runs out?
Variation: With more able speakers get them to make a sentence including the target word. Perhaps increase the time limit by a minute to accommodate the extra speaking time.
If the players get close to naming a card, give the answer and cut the card into those remaining but leave the cards got on the table. Only gather the cards when the group don't know, are not close or are taking too long to come up with an answer.
Use the same set of cards until the group actually makes it across the table or time has run out
The game should be played at a fast pace. Usually used for review or as a time-filler rather than a whole activity in its own right.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December