Many Japanese speak English. But they do not think our thoughts. They worship at other shrines; profess another creed; observe a different code. They can no more be moved by Christian pacifism than wolves by the bleating of sheep. We have to deal with a people whose values are in many respects altogether different from our own.
Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
The Mission of Japan, 1937
This is a classic co-operative activity and one of the many activities included in Cooperative Learning by Doctor Spencer Kagan (Kagan 1994). The whole group lines up according to an instruction given by the leader, usually the teacher. Typically players try to beat a time limit they have set themselves.
- alphabetically by name
- by length of name
- number of people in family (plus number of pets?)
- telephone number
Possibilities with flashcards (put the information on the card):
- animals (height, weight, name, years lived)
- months of the year/holidays
- times of the day
- occupations (name, salary)
- food (name, price, calories)
- countries (name size, population)
In cases where there may be ties decide in advance whether players will line up side by side or use paper, scissors rock to decide the order.
Think about the sensitivities of those lining up. For example, people might not want to line up by age or weight.
For those with good language skills it is possible to line up using something unqualifiable, eg likes or dislikes, or abilities or lack of ability. In this case no time limit is used. Rather players discuss with each other the position they take in the line and also perhaps answer follow up questions by the leader
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December