One day somebody should remind us that, even though there may be political and ideological differences between us, the Vietnamese are our brothers, the Russians are our brothers, the Chinese are our brothers; and one day we've got to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. But in Christ there is neither Jew nor Gentile. In Christ there is neither male nor female. In Christ there is neither Communist nor Capitalist. In Christ, somehow, there is neither bound nor free. We are all one in Christ Jesus.
Martin Luther King (1957-1968)
A Christmas Sermon, 1967
Global Climate Emergency
6 November 2019
This is a short clip from BBC World News in the week that Donald Trump formally began the US withdrawl from the 2016 Paris Climate Accord:
Hello to you. Thousands of scientists from around the world have endorsed a study based on 40 years of research that says the planet is facing an accelerating, global, climate emergency. The group of around 11,000 scientists says governments are failing to address the crisis and without deep and lasting changes there will be untold human suffering. Gareth Barlow has the story:
Wildfires in the United States, floods in Somalia, droughts in the Andes, typhoons in Asia; symptoms and signs of a changing climate. A climate emergency according to 11,000 scientists. They've backed a report based on 40 years of data which says humans are facing untold suffering amid a climate emergency caused by issues such as booming populations, a rise in air travel and tree numbers falling as forests are felled.
"Our planet is in crisis. You know it. We know it..."
Climate change is a key social and political issue and the report's authors say governments, businesses and the public must do more to tackle the causes of climate change.
"Extinction - Rebellion. Extinction...."
And it notes the growing global protest movement does offer hope. But as scientists warn of the changing climate on Monday Donald Trump began the formal process of withdrawing from the Paris Climate Accord, the landmark agreement meant to curb a rise in temperatures.
"I announce the withdrawal of the United States from the horrible, costly, one-sided Paris Climate Accord."
The issues aren't just political. The report's signatories say diets must change, population growth must reduce and the reliance on fossil fuels must end. Big solutions to fix and even bigger issue. Gareth Barlow, BBC News.
The pack contains the video in HD format, an mp3 audio version and a PDF featuring the transcript, the transcript with gaps, a word match version and a template to make vocabulary cards. These can be used with either of the recordings. The cards can be dealt out to students who then play them when they hear the words spoken.
How to use the pack largely depends upon individual classes. Does a class need to go through any of the vocabulary first or will they be able to work out the meaning from the context?
Rather than using the material all in one go it's best to space its use out over several weeks with gaps in between. This way the vocabulary is more likely to stick in the memory.
getfile: Global Climate EmergencyZIP: Video and PDF, 58.2 mb
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December