Many Japanese speak English. But they do not think our thoughts. They worship at other shrines; profess another creed; observe a different code. They can no more be moved by Christian pacifism than wolves by the bleating of sheep. We have to deal with a people whose values are in many respects altogether different from our own.
Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
The Mission of Japan, 1937
Ed Makes History
Recorded: March 11th, 2017
Here's a short video from BBC World News about singer-songwriter Ed Sheeron's takeover of the British Pop Charts. The first time around the video can be played with the sound turned off and the students can take turns making quick sentences about what they can see.
Here's a list of questions compiled for a random quiz. Some are easy, some difficult. Having a quiz provides a reason to watch a video more than once. Students can try and find the answers to questions they have missed the first time around.
|No.||Questions (Click Boxes for Answers)|
|1.||According to the report who has made music history?|
|2.||What's the date of the report?|
|11 March 2017|
|3.||What's the name of Ed Sheeran's third album?|
|4.||How many tracks from Divide are in the UK Top Twenty?|
|All of them|
|5.||How many tracks from Divide are in the UK Top Ten?|
|6.||How old is Ed Sheeran?|
|7.||Where is Ed Sheeran from?|
|8.||How many tracks does Ed Sheeran's third album include?
|9.||What two streaming services does the report mention?
|Spotify and Apple Music|
|10.||How many streams of a track equal one sale?|
|11.||How many sales did Ed Sheeron have in the week of the report?|
|12.||How many downloads did Ed Sheeron have in the week of the report?|
|13.||What does Ed Sheeron think about the singles chart system?|
|Something has gone wrong|
|14.||What's the name of the managing director of the Offical Charts Company?|
|15.||What's the name of the BBC Arts Editor?|
|16.||What's the first song we hear on the report?|
|Shape of You|
|17.||At the time of the report how many weeks had Shape of You been number one?|
|18.||What instrument do we see Ed Sheeron playing?|
|19.||What colour is Will Gompert's shirt?|
|20.||Which radio station do we hear Ed Sheeron speaking on?|
|21.||Which album is the fast selling record ever released by a male artist?|
|22.||How many press-ups do we see Ed Sheeron do?|
|23.||Why does Ed Sheeron look surpised in the promotional video?|
|His opponent is a Sumo Wrestler?|
|24.||What colour is used to identify Ed Sheeron's tracks on the Singles Chart?|
|25.||How does Ed Sheeron feel about "something going wrong"?|
|Very, very happy|
|26.||What mathematical symbol do we see in the background?|
|27.||What mathematical symbol do we see in the background?|
|A divide symbol|
|29.||What's on the necklace of the BBC studio presenter?|
|30.||What vehicle do we see behind Ed Sheeran when he is running?|
|A freight train|
If you use the video let me know how it goes.
getfiles: Ed Makes HistoryMP4 (Full HD Video), 166.16MB
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- This Week in History: March 21-26
- This Week in History: March 28 - April 2
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4