I refuse to accept the cynical notion that nation after nation must spiral down a militaristic stairway into the hell of thermonuclear destruction
Martin Luther King (1957-1968)
Nobel Peace Prize acceptance speech, 1964
Natural Disasters Crossword
Give every student a sheet. Notice that there are no clues on the sheet. That's because they are on strips. You willl need one set of strips for every 3-4 students. Crossword strips actually make a crossword more difficult because clues can not be read together and need to be dealt with randomly. Of course the students will need to know the words to be able to answer the crossowrd so use this sheet as a review. The full list of words is as follows: avalanche, blizzard, cyclone, drought, earthquake, flood, hailstorm, heatwave, hurricane, landslide, sinkhole, thunderstorm, tornado, tsunami, typhoon, wildfire.
Get the students into groups of 3-4, give each student a sheet and each group a set of strips. Tell the students to shuffle the strips. Announce a time limit to complete the sheet and set the timer going. There are 16 words to find so a limit of between 10 to 20 minutes should be OK.
Students take turns reading strips to each other and solving the clues. After writing down a word students should find the corresponding picture and write down the crossword number and diriction using the little boxes. In this way the studetns ar building up a complete crossword. If a group can't solve a clue they may send out one member to ask other groups if they have an answer. If no group can answer a clue the group should put it to one side and proceed with the next clue. When time is up go through any outstanding clues and either give hints so that the students can guess the word or just give the answer. All students should end up with a complete crossword.
getfile: Natural Disaster CrosswordPDF File B5, 3 pages, 3.61 mb
Put up 15th July 2019
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December