I do not want the peace which passeth understanding, I want the understanding which bringeth peace.
Helen Keller (1880-1968)
World Environment Day - So much Hot Air!
Our cosmic oasis, cosmic blue pearl
the most beautiful planet in the universe
all the continents and all the oceans
united we stand as flora and fauna
united we stand as species of one earth
different cultures, beliefs and ways
we are humans, the earth is our home
all the people and the nations of the world
all for one and one for all
united we unfurl the blue marble flag.
June 5th is the U.N's World Environment Day. The host nation for 2019 is China and the theme is "Beat Air Pollution". That will take a lot more than standing in front of a tank, heroic though it was. Strange how China got to pick the theme in the year marking 30 years since the massacre in Tiananmen Square?
According the World Health Organisation 90% of the World's population are exposed to unsafe air and bad air kills off 7 million people every year. This is massively more than their 2014 estimate that in the near future a quarter of a million people would die each year because of Climate Change. But of course the two are related. A recent report by an Australian Think Tank suggests that human civilisation will collapse by 2050. Tell that to the Australian Government that stopped funding for the Paris Climate Change Agreement.
Unless we get past the disease of greatness we are doomed.
What a miserable poem for the world! How can anyone possibly say that the Earth is the most beautiful planet in the universe? It's this kind of thinking that leads to nationalist zealots like Trump and Jair Bolsonaro gaining power. May as well burn down the Amazon and make Brazil great again. As long as we accept wealth and power over others as legitimate we have little to no chance for long-term survival. Stand together as one in the race to the top. All for One and one gets all...
Adrian Mitchell's Song in Space had it right...
When man first flew beyond the sky
He looked back into the world's blue eye.
Man said: What makes your eye so blue?
Earth said: The tears in the ocean do.
Why are the seas so full of tears?
Because I've wept so many thousand years.
Why do you weep as you dance through space?
Because I am the mother of the human race.
- Top Page
- Across The Table
- Add One More
- Be A Monster!
- Black Hole (board game)
- Bombs Away!
- Co-operative Quiz
- Dice Stack
- Fast Food Tag
- Find My Number
- Find The Penny
- The Happy Game
- Line Up!
- Maze Challenge
- Natty Narration
- Nose Nose Nose
- One Step Forward!
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Death Wish
- Pair Fluency Match 7 - Go Green!
- Parrot Parade
- Passport Control
- Reach The Top!
- Tickle Time
- What Cards
- Which One?
- Whose Shoe?
- World Cup Football 2018
- You, You, Me!
- Wake Up
- Songs and Music
- Strips (songs and otherwise)
- This Week In History
- January, February, March
- April, May, June
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: April 8-10
- This Week in History: April 12-15
- This Week in History: April 19-24
- This Week in History: April 24-26
- This Week in History: May 6-11
- This Week in History: May 11-14
- This Week in History: May 18-23
- This Week in History: May 25-31
- This Week in History: June 1-5
- This Week in History: June 11-14
- This Week in History: June 22-27
- This Week in History: June 15-21
- This Week in History: June 29 - July 5
- July, August, September
- This Week in History: July 6-12
- Sub Menu Item
- This Week in History: July 14-19
- This Week in History: July 27-31
- This Week in History: August 2- 6
- This Week in History: August 17-21
- This Week in History: August 27-30
- This Week in History: August 31 - September 6th
- This Week in History: September 7-13
- This Week in History: September 22-27
- This Week in History: September 14-20
- This Week in History: September 28 - October 4
- October, November, December